The other day while we were waiting to go to the beach, Natalie came down with a too-small pair of shorts and asked if she could turn them into a bag. Um, of course! She sewed the legs shut, added a strap from another bag she has and used fabric markers to decorate it. It turned out pretty cute!
Then of course Layla wanted to cut something up and do the same thing. And then of course, Kelby wanted one too, so we chose a t-shirt from Casey's cast-off pile and made him a cool bag too!
After we made Kelby's bag, we cut the bottom of the t-shirt into 1" strips. Then I let the kids stretch the heck out of it because when you stretch t-shirt strips, they curl up and make yarn! So then they got out the pony beads and made some necklaces and wrap bracelets. Pretty fun!
Upcycling clothing is so much fun and kids come up withe some pretty cool things. Here are some more ideas I've scouted on Pinterest:
- This cool headband is made from the same stretched t-shirt yarn method above!
- I've been making skirts from jeans since my teenage years. They never go out of style!
- These upcycled t-shirt infinity scarves are soooo cute!
- Skirt from a t-shirt! Great idea and cute for all ages.
- These girls skirts from mens shirts are so sweet.
- I can see my girls adding these cute butterflies to all kinds of things!
- Turn your outdated lounge pants into more stylish ones. It doesn't look like this a tutorial, but all you'd have to do is put them on inside out, pin the legs how you want them and sew them skinnier. Easy!
- Oh my goodness, I went through a phase where I made all kinds of bags out of jeans in my early 20s. There are many cute ideas out there for this, including this cool tote.
- Another cool t-shirt bag idea. This is a great one if you live in a bagless state like me and have to bring your own shopping bags!
- DIY baby leg warmers out of socks. Cuuuuuute.
Be sure and follow Pin, Cut, Sew on Pinterest, I add great ideas there all the time!